Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) is an alkali used as a raising agent in full flavored cakes, cookies, ginger bread and a wide range of other baking recipes. Bicarbonate of soda is a pure leavening agent that needs to be mixed with moisture or any acidic ingredient for necessary chemical reaction to take place in order for food to rise. When sodium bicarbonate meets with heat, carbon dioxide gas is formed, thereby giving rise to the dough that is being baked.In addition to bicarbonate of soda being used as an agent in baking, it surprisingly has numerous other uses. You will definitely be surprised to find out what this 473 naira box of powder has the ability to do. 😀
Natural Cleaner & Deodorizer
- Gas cooker cleaner – It serves as a great gas top cleaner. Sprinkle around cooker and pour some hot water and let soda soak for about 30 minutes before scrubbing and cleaning.
- Microwave cleaner – Add some spoons of soda to a bowl of water and place in microwave and heat for about 3 – 5 minutes. Keep microwave door closed after it stops so as to give the moisture and steam generated time to work. Remove bowl and clean microwave with a napkin.The bicarbonate acts as a deodorizer.
- Sponge freshener – Soak old kitchen sponges in a solution of soda and water to breathe new life into them.
- Removal of fishy smell – Fish and onion smell can be removed from kitchen utensils and dishes by adding a teaspoonful of soda to dish water before washing.
- Laundry – Adding bicarbonate of soda to detergent gives the clothes a cleaner, softer and fresher feel.
Health and Beauty
- Cold Sore Remedy – Treat cold sore by dabbing soda on affected area 3 times a day.
- Toothache Relief – Relieve toothache by dipping a clean cotton bud into water and soda respectively and rubbing into the tooth and gum until pain subsides. A mouth rinse can also be made by mixing a spoonful of soda in a small glass of warm water.
- Nausea and Stomachache Remedy – Relief nausea by drinking a teaspoon of soda added to a glass of warm water.
- Foot Soak – Bicarbonate of soda can be substituted for Epsom salt while getting a pedicure done. Allow foot to soak and gently scrub as usual.
- Facial Care – In addition to using it as a facial wash by mixing a tea spoon with water and washing face in a circular motion,it can also be used as an acne mask. Mix soda and water until a paste is formed. Apply all over face and let it sit for 15 – 20mins before rinsing with warm water. It helps in cleaning and smoothing skin,as well as removing blackheads.
- Heartburn and Indigestion – Bicarbonate of soda can be used as an antacid when heartburn or indigestion occurs. Drink a solution of 1 – 2 tablespoons of soda and water for relief.
In conclusion, there are research studies claiming that bicarbonate of soda has been tested and successful in the treatment of more critical health conditions like cancer and kidney disease. While we wait till it is officially verified, the above mentioned are a few tested and trusted uses of bicarbonate of soda.
Nkataa Recommendation – Dr Oekter Bicarbonate of Soda