There is an almost-overwhelming amount of yoghurts available on the market today but Greek style yoghurt definitely stands out in that compared to regular yoghurts, it is strained substantially to get rid of a majority of the “liquidy” bits including whey, lactose, sugars and so on. So in the end, you’re left with a thicker, creamier version of yoghurt with a more zesty taste that’s less sweet, in addition to all the protein goodness (double that of regular yoghurt) and only a fraction of the calories!
Lower lactose levels mean lower risk of discomfort for our lactose- intolerant counterparts and the protein goodness means you feel fuller quicker, for our weight watchers!
It is also a wonderful alternative protein source for vegetarians. We know how difficult it can be to maintain adequate protein levels.
Like all yoghurts, it is also a superb source of probiotic (good) bacteria, calcium, potassium, zinc, and vitamins B6 and 12.
Here are 2 exciting Greek yoghurt-ified recipes to try at home. All ingredients can be purchased on nkataa.com stress and fuss-free.
- 2 cups of plain Greek Yoghurt
- 1 cup of all-natural granola
- Honey (to taste)
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries (sliced)
- 1 fresh or frozen banana (sliced)
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 cup of frozen mango
- ⅙ frozen pineapple
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- In a bowl, add in the Greek yoghurt
- Mix in the granola
- Sprinkle your fruit on the top of the mixture
- Drizzle on some honey (and curry powder if desired)
- 4 chicken breast portions (boneless and cubed)
- 1.5 cups of Greek yoghurt
- ⅕ cup of sunflower oil (or olive oil or soya oil)
- 2 bell peppers (red and green; diced)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- Salt (to taste)
- Spices (to taste)
- For spices, I suggest: chicken seasoning, Knorr cube, yaji, coriander, garlic powder, Cameroun pepper to taste
- Skewers (you could also use clean sturdy broom sticks)
- Mix all ingredients (except the onions and bell peppers) in a bowl and leave it to sit in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours (preferably overnight)
- Soak skewers in warm water for 5-10 minutes. This prevents them from burning whilst in the grill
- Assemble the chicken, onions and peppers in turn in the skewers. Sprinkle on some more spices
- Grill till brown.
- Serve and eat!
Till next week…