Not everyday fried plantain or bolí, sometimes sexy plantain burger.
With this recipe, plantains are used in place of burger buns.
Author: Wendy Evans-Uhegbu
- Spice the burger patties with salt, pepper and spices. Place them in the grill or pre-oiled heated pan and allow to cook until your preferred level of ‘cooked’ is reached. Be sure to flip the patties over at intervals
- Whilst the patties are still piping hot, place the slices of cheese on them to melt
- For the plantains, wash, peel and cut each one into two and place in a pan of heated olive oil. Allow them to cook slightly, then remove from pan and mash into a thick paste. You can add some salt at this point
- Use a roller (or anything that works like a roller) to flatten the mashed paste to about ½ inch, then place it in the heated pan a second time until cooked. Remember to flip them over at intervals while they cook
- Place the fried plantains on paper towels to absorb any excess oil
- Now assemble the burger patties (with melted cheese), sliced tomatoes and onions, and plantains in the typical burger arrangement. Plantain -> patty (with melted cheese) -> tomatoes, onions, lettuce -> plantain.
- Serve with pink sauce (mix the ketchup, mayonnaise, and a few drops of lemon. Stir until pink and thoroughly combined).